Sunday, June 14, 2009

Distractions

Its amazing how much time simple distractions can take up.

On wednesdays I theoretically take 3 hours out to teach (11-2). In reality, I wake up, have a quick breakfast, prepare to teach (read over notes, work out which questions my students are likely to ask me, etc). I don't get any work done before I teach -- and once I've taught its 2 and I haven't had lunch. By the time I've eaten and made it back to my desk I'm tired and its 3:30 in the afternoon.

I haven't really been getting anything done on wednesdays or fridays. Thursday I'm learning.

Then on monday and tuesdays I've been finding other interesting projects to do. Its amazing what seems interesting when your main project is really hard :)

My current side projects:
  • Code editor project, where Joseph is learning how to write desktop apps in JavaScript. (Javascript is way faster than python and ruby!)
  • iProgress; a little iphone game
  • Operating system project. When I finish uni, I think I'm going to try and write my own OS. Planning starts now.
Next session is time to knuckle down. I have been making progress the last month or so but its not impressive progress. Its background reading and learning kind of progress. I've also started explaining my algorithm in code; but thats a story for another day ;)

For now, here's a procedurally generated map I wrote for a little toy game I'm working on for the iphone:



4 comments:

  1. I hear you man. Whenever I have something on, there's always seemingly more interesting things out there and when there seems like nothing, there's always cleaning your room or desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry...
    We may have irreversibly damaged your profile view counter.

    Also...
    My friend thinks your cute...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry >.<....

    i like your stuff! =)

    we accidentally started experimenting on the definition of 'approximate' on blog spots profile view count.... our bad.

    ReplyDelete